Airlines create promotions to increase sales and acquire new customers. Certain routes or flights can be managed better and create higher revenue if they get promoted.
Flight Promotions are a product within the Merchandising Suite.
There are two main options related with Flight Promotions:
- pre-shopping discounts
- post-shopping discounts
In case of pre-shopping flight promotions DC sends internal call to Flight Promotions tool to check if there are any applicable discounts for certain route and date combination. If yes, then information about discount amount is sent to Shopping downline system and offers already contain discounted values.
For post-shopping flight promotions, DC sends another internal call to Flight Promotions tool to be able to validate if there is any promotion available for the defined list of flights. Therefore, in this case there is a wider list of criteria available to be used to define promotions.
Using Flight Promotions tool there is also option to add tour code and/or additional remarks to the PNR
- If the tour code field is provided - it will be stored in remarks and sent in Ticketing command during purchase and stored in the VCR (for BNPL tour code will be read from the remark and used during purchase in MYB: BNPL).
- If an additional remark field is provided - it will be added to the PNR.
This functionality is applicable to the following flows:
- The Revenue Booking Flow (B2C);
- The Revenue: Book Now Pay Later Flow (B2C: BNPL);
- The Manage Your Booking – Book Now Pay Later Flow (MYB: BNPL).
- Flight Promotions has to be activated.
- Flight Promotions must be configured.
- Tour code/ additional remark needs to be defined in the Flight Promotions UI.
Points as a Form of payment is not supported for bookings with Flight Promotions.
- In the standard Revenue Booking flow (B2C) during POST /purchase operation Digital Connect verifies whether additional tour code override or remarks are present in RepriceContext element in RepriceRS. These elements can be configured in Flight Promotions UI. If the elements are present then the remarks and tour code override remark are being added to the reservation. Additionally, the tour code is passed in the Ticketing command instead of the promo code.
- In the Revenue Booking - Book Now Pay Later flow (B2C: BNPL) (when the reservation is put on hold) during POST /purchase operation Digital Connect verifies whether additional tour code override or remarks are present in RepriceContext element in RepriceRS. These elements can be configured in Flight Promotions UI. If the elements are present then the remarks and tour code override remark are being added to the reservation.
- In the Manage Your Booking - Book Now Pay Later flow (MYB: BNPL) the tour code override is retrieved from on-hold booking remark. If present it is passed in the Ticketing command as a tour code during POST /purchase call.
Dynamic Retailer Promotions for the Redemption - Ancillaries and Seats
Airlines create promotions to increase sales and acquire new customers.
Digital Connect gives an option to offer ancillaries and/or seats discounts also in the Redemption Flow (RBE) and to pay for ancillaries and/or seats discounts with loyalty points/miles in the Revenue Booking Flow (B2C), the Manage Your Booking – Modify Trip Options (MYB: MTO) and the Manage Your Booking – Change Itinerary Flow (MYB: CI). This is an extension of existing in the Revenue flow ancillaries and seats promotions supported via Dynamic Retailer.
Thanks to that, Frequent Flyer users will be able to use their accrued loyalty points/miles to purchase discounted ancillaries and seats.
- Dynamic Retailer needs to be activated.
- Dynamic Retailer Ancillaries/Seats Promotions has to be configured.
- Loyalty Exchanges needs to be activated, points should be enable as a Form of Payment for Booking Flow (B2C) and for the Manage Your Booking – Modify Trip Options Flow (MYB: MTO).
- In the Manage Your Booking – Change Itinerary Flow (MYB: CI) supported via Loyalty Exchanges below conditions must be met:
- The original VCR paid by points or combination of cash and points.
- No ancillaries or ancillaries paid by cash in the original booking.
- Digital Connect v3.2 will only allow adding seats in the new Exchange flow, there will be no option to add ancillaries.
- As there is no passenger indicator in /pnr/exchange/products service Digital Connect v3.2 is not able to provide correct discount amount in the exchange flow if there are different discounts per passenger.
The flow of services is the same as in the case of standard RBE Flow, Points in the Revenue Flow (B2C), Points in the Post-booking flows: The Manage Your Booking – Modify Trip Options (MYB: MTO) and Manage Your Booking – Change Itinerary Flow (MYB: CI). The only addition is the handling of ancillaries/seats discounts which now can be presented in points in appropriate services (like GET /products/ancillaries, GET /products/seats, GET /products, etc.).
Flight Discount Per Passenger
Digital Connect supports the option of multiple promo codes in one booking. This functionality allows airlines to improve tracking promotions and gain better control over promotional fares. It also allows airlines to offer passengers single use multi promo codes, not only multi use single promo codes. The promo codes (both: multi use single promo codes or single use multi promo code) must be tied to the same promotion.
Passengers must provide promo code for every person in a booking to obtain a modified fare. The same price modifier is applied to every passenger in the booking regardless of passenger type (ADT, CHD), excluding or including infants – depending on the configuration, however the final value might be different due to a difference in the original fare.
Supported price modifiers:
- Amount discount
- Percentage discount
If on the same flight a markup, discount and/or account code is applied an airline can use a configuration to set priorities up. The price modifier with the highest priority will be applied.
Promo code per passenger provided during purchase is added to an electronic ticket (VCR) and to the booking in remarks.
This functionality applies to the following flows:
- The Revenue Flow (B2C)
- Book Now Pay Later Flow (B2C: BNPL)
- Manage Your Booking – Book Now Pay Later Flow (MYB: BNPL)
Airline must use Flight Promotions application to create promotions and set up rules.
- Flight Promotions or discounts capability are not currently supported in the Redemption Flow (RBE).
- All promo codes in the same booking must belong to the same promotion.
- One promo code must be provided for each passenger (excluding or including infants - depending on the configuration). If promocode is not provided for all passengers in the booking, reservation will be priced without any promotions. Also, if one promo code, in the case of single use multi promo code, is invalid, none of the other valid promo codes will be applied.
- The same price modifier is applied regardless of passenger type therefore there is no possibility to match promocode with a specific passenger or passenger type.
Digital Connect validates code(s) entered by a passenger. In /products/air/search POST response a flag indicating if given promocode is valid is returned. Digital Connect sends a warning if any of the promo codes is in the status:
- Incompatible (new status).
In any of the above cases passenger may either choose to correct a promo code or proceed with the booking and issue ticket(s) without discount.
Pseudo City Code (PCC) in Flight Promotions
Pseudo City Code (PCC) was added to the Flight Promotions criteria to ensure the promotion is applied according to PCC:
- correct PCC - promotion applied
- incorrect PCC - promotion not applied