24 hours to reinvent travel
Travel is nearly a seven trillion dollar industry — yes, that’s big! Do you have an idea that will change how we fundamentally think about travel? This is your chance to put your idea into play and win big. Bring your creativity and expertise to show the possibilities of where travel could go next.
Challenge #1 – “Social swagger”
As more apps strive to integrate travel and social in innovative ways, at the core is the ability to collaborate and share in a way that is convenient and scalable. How would you approach this challenge differently than the present applications available today?
Challenge #2 – “Travel in a non-travel world”
Due to various technical and business challenges, travel is not as integrated as it could be into other online verticals. Create an application that breaks down the barriers surrounding this untapped cross-industry opportunity.
Challenge #3 – “Mine your own business”
Aggregated and mass-marketed content is the norm, but it’s only the baseline. Using your own industry knowledge, coupled with new intelligent services and market insights, how would you drive value in travel through personalized, data-driven decisions?
Challenge #4 – “The API alchemist”
Sources of content in the online universe are virtually limitless. Using three or more entirely different APIs, create a unique product offering and/or user experience.
Date and location
August 1 & 2
On site + Virtual
3150 Sabre Dr.
Southlake, TX 76092
1st place: $15,000 in prizes
- First place includes $5,000 cash and $10,000 credit for use of Sabre APIs
- Each challenge winner will receive a $1,000
- Join the event in person for a chance to win some tech gear.
Founder and CTO
Blue Calypso, Inc.
Principal, Business Development
Bottle Rocket Apps
Senior Vice President
VP of Programming
The Dallas Entrepreneur Center (The DEC)
- 25% - Technical quality: is it a working prototype that doesn’t crash?
- 25% - Design: Is the application polished, visually appealing and easy to use?
- 25% - Challenge: How well does the solution meet the different elements of the challenge?
- 25% - Originality: Is the application unique and/or innovative?
Rules at a glance
- Rule #1: Participation – This hackathon is open to U.S. and Canadian residents to participate. If you live in another country, check out our other events to see if we have something going on in your region.
- Rule #2: APIs - For this hackathon you must use at least one of the Sabre REST APIs, outside of that you are free to use any open 3rd party APIs or content providers.
- Rule #3: Timeframe – You will have 24 hours to build an app that addresses one of the four challenges.
- Rule #4: Fresh code – We will all start coding at the same time. This is done to keep things fair. Please don’t come in and build on top of previous projects if you want to win. It’s fine to work on designs beforehand, such as digital mockups, open source frameworks and anything else available to everyone, but make sure to keep designs within those limits.
- Rule #5: Team size – Teams of up to 5 participants are allowed.
- Rule #6: Demo your hack – You must demo your hack in order to present. No PowerPoints will be allowed. Don’t be scared if you didn’t finish, just show us what you got done.
- Rule #7: Have fun! – It’s a hackathon! Use whatever languages or hacks you have in your arsenal. Show us hardware. Show us new concepts. Show us anything you’d like.
View the official rules for more information.
- 9:00am – Check-in/networking
- 10:00am – Kick off preso
- 11:00am – Find teams/eat lunch
- 12:00pm – Start hacking
- 6:00pm – Dinner & raffle
- 12:00am – Snack
- 6:00am – Breakfast
- 12:00pm – Stop hacking (lunch served)
- 1:00pm – Presentations
- 3:30pm – Awards
- 3:45pm – Networking